The Name Of Jesus
“For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 3:11).
Names have the power to communicate something significant; they communicate a person’s character and mission. When a child is named, that name is filled with hopes and expectations for what the life of that child will be like. In the Bible, there are over a 100 names that tell us about Jesus and His character. Have you ever met anyone who can be the timid Lamb and the conquering Lion at the same time? The name “Jesus Christ” means The Anointed One, but is that all there is to know about the name of Jesus?
Here are some foundational truths about Jesus:
- Jesus Christ is God revealed in the flesh (John 14:9)
- His name was given to Him by divine appointment (Matthew 1:21)
- The name of Jesus Christ gives us our identity (Acts 11:26)
- He was born without sin and so didn’t have to be born again
- Through Him, all things were created (Colossians 1:16-18)
- In Him, we live, move and have our being (Acts 17:28)
- It is through His name that we pray and make our requests known to God (John 16:23-24) &
- The kingdom of darkness trembles at the mention of His name (James 2:19).
We’ve received our first victory in this New Year – making it into 2018. And so in this New Year, I really want to encourage us to bank on the power in the name of Jesus. The name of Jesus is mighty to save and to deliver. His name is so powerful that it has remained a constant message of hope throughout the whole world. It is in the name of Jesus that we are set free from the bondage of sin, it is in His name that we receive healing.. Jesus is our Saviour, Light, Advocate and the Greatest Friend ever. One thing I really want to work on this year is to speak the name of Jesus over every situation I find myself in; over every trial, over every battle. I want to encourage you to do the same and watch God overcome on your behalf.
Here’s a song for you:
If All I Say Is Jesus – By Dunsin Oyekan